Saturday 11 August 2012

Test for Echo (RUSH cover) - recorded in 1999!

Click HERE for Soundcloud link- TEST FOR ECHO

Recorded in August 1999 - thirteen years ago!

This was the last song I ever recorded to TAPE.  A Tascam Portastudio 424 to be precise.  This is a cover of RUSH's "Test for Echo".  I played bass, drums, guitar and sung the vocals.  The guitars and vocals were only ever meant to be scratch tracks but I never ended up redo-ing them.  Proud of the bass and drum work though.

This was back in the days before I'd ever heard of autotune, non-linear editing, drum replacement, or audio quantizing (I know it existed but I didn't know any of that fancy stuff!)

Iust put microphones in front of instruments and hit record.  I used to record 4 tracks of drums (using a submixer to mix to 4 tracks), then bounce to DAT.  Bounced that DAT mix to 2 fresh tracks of a NEW cassette then recorded two more tracks (usually bass and a rhythm guitar).  Bounced that to DAT - repeat and rinse.

Used an Alesis Midiverb II for all effects and an Ibanez guitar compressor pedal for the snare drum!!

Good old days:)  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment